Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My Obsession with Vampires

Eclipse opens today. Well, it opened last night at 12:01 in select theatres but it truly opens today. This has me thinking, "what is it about Edward Cullen, vampires, immortality and a made-for-teens movie that has me so intrigued?" (ok, obsessed)

First of all, I am hardly the only thirty-something woman who has read and loved the entire Twilight series. I certainly won't be the last to get hooked.

Is it the knight-in-shining-armor appeal of Edward Cullen? Is it the fact the he constantly rescues the damsel-in-distress? Is it the fact that Stephenie Meyer has so thoughtfully created this charater, this character who falls in love with the mortal and refuses to turn her immortal? His love for her is so true and pure he would rather her live a "normal" life as a mortal than be with her forever?

The intense excitement of the "bad" vampires trying to kill the mortal girl and Edward doing everything he can to make sure that doesn't happen. The idea of this high-school age girl living this exciting science-fiction lifestyle. The fact that, while most of us deal with "mean girls" and fake friends, this book deals with issues such as mortality and loyalty.

Its often been said I am a highly passionate person. Yes, I am. When I find something I care about, someone I feel strongly about or a concept I agree with, I go for it. Whether it was coaching a competitive dance/cheer team, rescuing dogs or reading about vampire love, I without a doubt feel passionately for it.

No comments: