Fall is my favorite favorite favorite time of year. The leaves are beautiful; all over my driveway, my lawn, my deck, and occasionally my dogs. Sitting in my guest room looking out the window at the different colors, I acknowledge how blessed I am. How can I not? Max and Stella are on the guest bed staring at me pathetically; surely wondering why we aren't yet at the dog park on such a glorious day.
I finished a book this morning; Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. I can't remember the last time I read fiction. I love non-fiction; dogs, law, religion, self-help, feng shui (ok, not really but I wanted to sound sophisticated for a sentence, did it work?). Twilight is over 500 pages. Most know I have the attention span of a gnat which, is why I stick to non-fiction and which, is why a 500+ page book that is about something other than dogs, Barack Obama, Kim Kardashian, or meeting your true love, is so surprising. I COULD NOT PUT THIS BOOK DOWN. I read from 5-11 last night and finished it up this morning. Narrated by 17 year-old Bella, Twilight is the best love story since Romeo and Juliet. Tragically so. Bella moves into small-town Forks, Washington to finish her last 2 years of high school. Her character is entirely lovable. She is relatable and I almost pictured her to be me. She falls head over heels in love with Edward Cullen, one of 5 adopted siblings all of whom are drop-dead gorgeous, brilliant and wealthy. She learns Edward is a vampire and thus begins their tragic love story of impossible hopes and dreams. Edward, so in love with Bella cannot keep away form her although, 'his kind' thirsts for 'her kind'. So many parallels between their love and the real world; man loves woman, man can hurt woman, woman loves man, knows man can hurt her (figuratively yet literally in Twilight) thus begins a saga of Bella wanting to become immortal to be with Edward forever (becoming 'immortal' is gained through a 3-day process of excruciating pain wherein the vampire puts his venom into the mortal and for 3-days the mortal feels incredible pain, at the end of which is a vampire as well.) Some evil vampires (Edward's family is 'good'; using will-power to not eat humans and instead 'hunting' for wolves, bears, etc.) catch Bella's scent and here we have the boy-saves-girl situation which had my heart pounding. Edward saved Bella from exactly what his instincts tell him to do; hunt the human.
Twilight is the first of a 4-book series. I am leaving here shortly to meet the girls for brunch at Zona Rosa and am going to buy book #2.
Jessi gave me Twilight yesterday. I went over to her house to have brunch (Jessi is an insane cook) with Jessi and Chad. I love them. We had such a nice time. They have Yoda, the pug, who although he runs when he sees me I am quite sure he loves me. It is so odd being able to pick up a dog and hold him in my arms! We began talking about books at brunch; I told them of the 'cooking organically for your canine friends' book I was reading as well as the 'meditations for women' book I was reading. Jessi could hardly contain her enthusiasm when telling me about Twilight. So, she loaned it to me to read. After brunch we went to see Nights in Rodanthe. Quite possibly one of the top 5 tear-jerkers I have seen in a decade. Jessi and I were literally sobbing uncontrollably, shoulders-shaking. It was pathetic. Any book-made-to-movie from Nicholas Sparks is 2 thumbs up in my book.
Tommy and I went to coffee yesterday morning (yes I am moving in rewind here) that was very nice. I never ever would have thought, 10 years ago, that Tommy would be one of my best friends and that we would have enough stimulating topics to cover an hour and a half coffee date, but we do! I think my brother should get into politics; not only is he the most well-read and versed person that I know when it comes to the history of politics, the logistics and the complexities of politics, he is a phenomenal teacher who could actually educate people on this subject.
Love...is really in the air lately. I just feel it.
So Tuesday is the big election day. Election '08. I was watching Sunday morning news this morning, and they had some psychologist talking about "election withdrawal" and how, after Wednesday morning people are going to hav withdrawals from all the hot issues, topics, conversations and heated debates resulted out of the 'unknown' outcome of Election '08.
I'm going to buy my book now.
Sunday, November 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment