Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Economy and the Holidays...

Times are tough; we are all living differently now than we were 2 years ago...5 years ago...I now get a Starbucks once a week instead of once a day, I have downgraded the dogs' food, they get less treats, off-brand treats, they no longer go to daycare or the vet when they have a bump or red eye, my sister now gets pedicures once every few months instead of once a week, I haven't been out to lunch or dinner in months, I read instead of watching movies, friends come over and I entertain instead of going out for entertaiment, I ride the KC ATA downtown to work to save on gas and parking...and you know what? I'm happy! We're all happy! I mean, I would love to have a Starbucks everyday but, I've lost weight since I haven't! I would love to take the dogs to daycare at least once a week but, they have more energy to give me love when I get home! I would love to not deal with the crazies on the bus, and have my SUV downtown but I haven't gotten a speeding ticket or been in any accidents! Now...I'm not so sure Miss. Amy McGillicuddy can or should be going MONTHS without a pedicure for her feet.... :) j/k.

So this brings me to the holidays. The 'siblings' discussed either foregoing gift-giving this year or exchanging homemade gifts. Clearly the meaning of Christmas is Christ, and His birthday, being with family, being safe, being with loved ones and spending time together..so we haven't forgotten the true meaning of Christmas.

HOWEVER when the emails were going around about this...my SEESTER AMY who, goes BALLS OUT for Christmas, emails me, "so does this mean I need to return your Juicy Perfume?"

Juicy Couture is kind of a running joke between Amy and me...I LOVE Juicy and am probably the only person above the age of 30 who acknowledges the significance of Juicy Couture. Amy has given me a Pink Juicy jumpsuit for Christmas, that I secretly wear around my house 24/7, as well as awesome boutique-type very couture clothes. She is AWESOME when it comes to Christmas shopping. She really enjoys seeing our/my face when I open her gifts and do my spirit fingers. She really gets joy from this.

So, my sweet, generous, dear, sister, had Juicy Couture perfume for me for Christmas. Now, we are exchaning homemade gifts. And, honestly, the more I think about it...I'm more excited for her home made gift. Two years ago she made Tommy and me the "Estlund Compilation" CDs; a set of three CDs that brought back memories from the 80s, 90s, those CDs were awesome. Isn't it amazing that we can say "home made gifts mean the most" and it may not sound heartfelt yet, really is? I know Tommy's most favorite gift ever (that he still has on his bookshelf) was a book Amy made him. I was always jealous of that book. Maybe I will get a book this year... :) ?? I would love a home made book from my sister over Juicy Couture perfume anyday. Someday, when we are rich we will afford each other lavish gifts..but for now, from the heart is best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!11