Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Facebook Drama

One of the reasons I am not sure I could handle children is because of technology. In my era, we had an easy time getting in trouble and that was without Facebook, text messaging and the Internet. For example, Facebook. I have witnessed girls I used to coach, who are now between the ages of 15 and 19, post very private details about their relationships and consequential break-ups. They post who cheated on who, who slept with who and who they are mad at. Wait, that would be, who they hate. On a public forum! A social networking site.

Just yesterday I witnessed one of my girl's profiles, it stated she is in an "open relationship". Open relationship? At 17!? I'm not judging. If a 17 year-old feels an open relationship is best for her, that's fine. But to post it on Facebook.

Not to mention the pictures these girls post. I feel so old saying this but I can't believe these pictures. I watch way too much Law & Order, I admit that, but these pictures are the exact types of pictures that are considered pornography on L&O.

Months ago I was bored, waiting for my husband to get home, and perusing Facebook. I came across a profile, I will call him James. He used to be married to a girl I went to high school with, let's call her Jane. They had a lot of kids, are now divorced. That's all good and fine. They live in small-town Cedar Rapids (well not really small town, 160,000) but from what I "hear" are making it work and being amicable. Well, one night James posts on his FB page that one of his good friends, lets call him Larry, slept with Jane. And the comments proceeded from there. Everyone in FB world got involved in this conversation. James was pissed (obviously) at both his friend and his ex-wife who he was at this point calling a slut on this social networking site.

Jane's friends defended her, James's friends defended him and then there were the stupid little spoons (people who stir shit up) Lori, for one, who instigated much more. This is all on a public forum.

That's all. Just had to rant. I post things like "I love my dogs" and "Husband took me on lunch date" and that could, arguably, be divulging too much.

No comments: