I just witnessed quite possibly one of the most painful first dates. I wanted to go to the couple and say, "hey, why don't you guys just go your separate ways, chalk it off to one of the many bad dates you will have to endure before you find "the one"."
I'm sitting at Borders. The man was trying way too hard to impress her and she couldn't even fake a smile. I felt like she could have at least made the best out of the situation. I mean, how many horrible first dates did I have that I said to myself, "Sarah, make the best of this. Its one hour out of your life. Deal with it. Its the price you pay for being blessed with the prince one day."
He was wearing a suit and talking into a dictation thingy when she first got here. She was painfully shy, had a Columbian accent. He had a cup of coffee on the high-top table, his laptop case/briefcase on the chair next to him. She approached the table looking down. Made eye contact with him briefly. I don't believe they shook hands. She hoisted herself up on the high chair and her legs dangled, connected at the ankles. He asked if she wanted coffee. She shook her head 'no'.
He talked about how he is a lawyer (which he clearly wanted her to know he is an important lawyer because he was talking into his dictaphone when she walked up to him.) Then went into how his son is a lawyer and graduated from Harvard law. Occasionally during the conversation he would reiterate two things. One - she was a very attractive lady and two - so, she worked two part-time jobs? So, she doesn't have a full-time job?
It was PAINFUL. It was almost like PTSD because I started having flashbacks of my horrible first dates. Horrible first dates.
Lesson in today's column? Make the best out of a bad situation! Its one hour of your life (if you're smart and schedule a coffee date like I always advise) just make the best of it and write about it someday!
Thursday, July 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment