Friday, July 25, 2008

My So Called Life...

It was the name of a show in the late 90s..anyone, anyone? Bueller...Bueller? So, it's Friday - Thank Goodness!! Melissa and I left at 4:00, she brought me home, I went to the gym for a quick run, then came home, showered and grilled pork chops for Lauren and I. Now, I'm chillaxin with my awesome dogs, blogging, waiting for Lauren and we're going to start a movie, "Definitely Maybe".

I went out for dinner with Rachelle and her two nieces, ages 8 and 11, last night. It was Rachelle's bday. I was raised that your birthday is the most exciting day of the year; I'm pretty sure I've had a gorilla come serenade me at school, I've been sent flowers, I've been sent concert tickets (Richard Marx) I have been givin jewelry and clothes and "boom boxes" I am pretty sure I have had the best birthdays ever. One year, my mom and sister decorated the sidewalk and driveway and t-p'd the house for my birthday. My point is, because birthdays have always been a huge deal, they always will be. And as midnight approaches on the night of a feeling of sadness and disapointment comes over me as I know I must wait another year for the next big birthday celebration. Since moving to Kansas City, I have had a "birthday dinner" every year at the same place with all my girlfriends. I so look forward to it. The same core group of girls remains the same; others come and go. Its so awesome and memorable to spend my birthday with my best girlfriends, those who are most important to me. My sister even flew in for my 30th bday dinner. My cousin Angela hasn't missed a year...so wonderful.

Anyway, Rachelle's bday was yesterday. She and her fiance were in an argument. I emailed her yesterday morning to let her know I would have loved to take her out for Sheridans, Starbucks, playdate with the dogs, we could grill out, whatever she wanted to do. She told me her Dad and step-mom, fiance Eric, and two nieces were all going to dinner and did I want to come? I said "surely!" Well, about 6:00 last night I get a text from Rachelle that it would just be her two nieces and her, and did I still want to go. I called her and told her how special she was and of course you dumb ass, I want to go it is your birthday! So, next was deciding on a place Rachelle would be happy with, being that it was her birthday, and an 8 year-old and 11 year-old would be happy with. Well, we went to Red Lobster. It was so much fun. I can say I had never had dinner with an 8 and 11 year-old and it was definitely an experience. This 8 year-old, Kimber, was wittier and more hysterical than any 30 year-old I know. And what an absolute doll. Her older sister Gabby was a sweetheart as well. "Please" and "Thank you" and "Ma'am" and "Sir". I loved it! I hope Rachelle had a good birthday, she certainly deserved it. I'm pretty sure she did.

Another reason I ran so hard at the gym tonight...have you ever had those biscuits at Red Lobster?!?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Birthdays in our family are the most fun!!!!
xoxoxo