Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Paralegal Party

Let me just say I LOVE THE GIRLS I WORK WITH. Sure, we get stressed a lot and are bitchy to each other and make fun of each other but at the end of the day when it is all said and done; they're the best ever! There is Melissa, the bitch and ring-leader. She and I exchange "yo mama" jokes all day and all night. She is a dog-lover, animal activist, crazy-dog-lady as well. She works with Pit rescue groups and SNKC with me. She is a riot. She has a heart of gold even though she thinks she is all tough; we can see right through it. She would do anything for anyone, except NO HUGS.



And, there is Kristen. She was the one I liked first and she is the most level-headed and not moody. Although she is quite eccentric. She eats carrots and tuna for an afternoon snack. Need I say more? Her husband just left for France for 6 months, she is going to school AND interning at a local ABC affiliate ALL while working 45+ hours a week.

Deanna is a doll. She is a hard worker and knows how to have fun. She started as a part-time assistant to us and has pretty much become a full-time+ paralegal. We have TOO MUCH FUN. Example:
Background info: I work on the 6th floor of a Bank Building in downtown KC. Since we're in a bank building there is always a police officer on duty on the Mezzanine Level. You can exit the building from level 1, Mezz, or level 2. For all intents and purposes of this story, we exit on the Mezz and walk by the cop everytime.
So, today around 11:30, Melissa, Kristen, Deanna and me decided to walk to Starbucks. We took the elevator to the Mezz, got off, and walked through the bank. Passing the cop...Kristen (random girl) whispers to us "Guys, I just had this urge to touch his gun."

Silence.

Melissa, "Which gun?!"

Laughter.

As you can see from my descriptions above, Kristen is spread rather thin right now and we're quite sure it is affecting her sanity.

So all the while to Starbucks we're making fun of Musengisms (her last name + isms) and all the funny random things she has said lately. But, "guys, I just had an urge to touch his gun. I really want to touch his gun." topped them all off.

We get back from Starbucks and go back to 6th Floor to our desks. Some time passes, and Deanna and I decide to walk down to the CVS store down the street. As we get off on the Mezz level Deanna turns to me and tells me about her idea...wouldn't it be hysterical to walk back up to 6 with the cop?? So he could go up to Kristen's cube and say something funny about touching his gun??

So basically we go up to the cop and explain our situation. Meanwhile Marcus, the hysterical little gay bank teller is just laughing uncontrollably. I tell the cop "it's been a really stressful week....my friend has this 'thing' for cops...we would really appreciate this...it would totally make the entire department on 6 laugh...please please please.." and then I look at Deanna because I can't seem to bring myself to say "she wants to touch your gun" so, bless her heart, Deanna says "And...She wants to touch your gun. Pretty much."

Silence.

Marcus, "Which gun?"

Laughter again.

Well the cop, who we have now learned his name is Chris, is a completely awesome sport and totally wants to go along with it.

All the way up the elevator to 6 D and I cannot stop laughing. We get to 6, walk down the hallway toward Kristen's desk. We can hear her saying something random like "Well what did you guys get me at CV....oh shit!" Her face turned about 12 shades of red. Melissa from the other side of the room starts laughing uncontrollably. It was sooo hysterical!! I am laughing out loud just reliving the moment. So Chris the Cop goes around to Kristen in her cubicle, with his legs shoulder width apart, his hands on his hips, he looks right at her and says "I hear you have a request?"

Kristen was laughing and mortified and buckled over she was laughing so hard. It was at this point that she actually reached out and, TOUCHED HIS GUN!!

I hope someone else out there in blog land finds this as funny as I did. Maybe we're all so strung out and burnt out at the firm that we would have found any comic relief funny. But it was priceless!!

Thanks for reading!

No comments: